Individual Volunteer Opportunities
Click to see our most urgent current volunteer needs, or see below for all of our opportunities.
- Build: We welcome volunteers of all skill levels! We hear from many people who want to get involved, but hesitate because they have no building or home repair experience. While we can always use the skills of volunteers who are contractors, carpenters, plumbers, etc., we encourage everyone to try building with us. You are sure to learn something new, whatever your background, and our staff is here to teach you. We do ask all our volunteers, whether skilled our unskilled, to keep an open-minded, safety-conscious, and ready-to-learn attitude at all times. Everyone has the same goal on a Habitat site: to build a home for a family who needs it. All build volunteers must be 16 or older. Sign up for build shifts on VolunteerUp.
- ReStore: If you’re interested in volunteering in a successful retail environment, consider helping at our ReStore. All the proceeds from the store fund GFHFH and its operations. Volunteers support resale efforts by serving in the areas of cashier/customer service, repair/maintenance, receiving, stocking/cleaning, and office support. ReStore volunteers must be 16 or older and must complete an orientation (sign up on VolunteerUp).
- Office: Office volunteers perform a wide range of administrative tasks in support of Habitat’s business responsibilities. Duties may include filing, answering phones, preparing mailings, or organizing materials for events. As an office volunteer, you are the face of Habitat to those who come through our doors. Sign up for various office shifts on VolunteerUp.
- Special Events: From time to time, we ask for volunteers to help with special events (fundraisers, special build weeks, community events) and necessary tasks. Be sure to register in VolunteerUp so that you will receive email updates about special/ upcoming volunteer opportunities!
Each home we build requires an incredible effort of fundraising, organization, and advocacy. Volunteers who serve in these areas make Habitat’s work possible, both on the front lines and behind the scenes. If you are interested in any of the following committees, contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Our two theme builds, Women Build and Veterans Build, are led by volunteer task forces. They work hard to fundraise for these builds and publicize them to the community. With the help of additional volunteers, each task force ensures that the building of their home is successful, from the first dollar raised to the ribbon-cutting ceremony.
- Our Board of Directors and our governing committees are all volunteer-led. Experienced GFHFH volunteers who have shown exceptional stewardship to the organization may be asked to serve as members of these groups.
- Our Build Committee is very important to our mission. If you have experience and skills in contracting, sitework, plumbing, electrical work, green building, or related areas, you may be a great candidate for our Build Committee!
- Equally important are our Family Services volunteers, who work under our Family Services Coordinator to guide and support our partner families throughout the Habitat process. Several rewarding volunteer positions give you the opportunity to work directly with the individuals we serve. A social work background is preferred, but an attitude of understanding and professionalism is the most important quality for a Family Services volunteer.
- The Faith Relations Committee works to build and maintain GFHFH’s relationships with local houses of worship and religious groups. Our Resource Development team is crucial to making Habitat possible in Fredericksburg. All of our affiliate’s funds are raised locally, and as we continue to grow, we need creative ideas and dedicated volunteers to help bring in funds for more and more homes.
- The Thank You Team supports the Resource Development team’s efforts by sending personal thank you notes to our donors. They work to keep our donors engaged with Habitat so that their generosity will continue.
- Into social media or advertising? Our PR Team can always use talented individuals to help tell the world what we’re doing. Great PR is key to our mission.
We ask that all volunteers read our Volunteer Handbook before serving.